Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Working Overseas

My University class of 90 is a very unique one as there are many of us who have ventured and worked abroad (Hung Seng in Cairo, Bangkok, Angelena in japan, Harvindar in Dubai, etc). Working overseas is good as it gives one the additional perspective. At the same, it also allows one to appreciate what one has at home.

My son Keith is Primary 4 this year and he is studying at my old primary school Maris Stella. Even though I am working overseas, I have the very "safe" and "secure" feeling that the system is taking care of him. Now, he is a prefect for his school as I am so proud of him as I was also a prefect in Primary 4..

The bilingual system will ensure that he will be able to communicate both in English and Mandarin. I am glad that I am the "product" of Singapore being a biligual in both English and Mandarin language. In addition, thanks to our neighbouhood system where I could learn how to speak Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew and Hainanese..which has made it easy for my assimilation into Hong Kong or Taiwan..

My 4th overseas posting have made me a different person, I appreciate every cities that I have stayed and worked and the people that I have met. Most important, I also appreciate my home, Singapore....

Next month will be celebrating Singapore National day. I have always notice the NPD as I was born 3 days before the indepedence. I remembered I have alsways told my classmates when I was in primary school that I was born 3 days before Singapore independence so that I could do Great things in the future!

Ha ha..I am still trying my best!

No comments: